Connect with us

Crime and Safety

Provo House Damaged In Fire Caused By Reignited Ashes



PROVO, Utah – Firefighters were called out to a Utah County home after ashes from a fire the day before reignited and spread to the side of the house.

Crews with the Provo Fire Department responded to the scene at 4390 N 250 E around 10 p.m. Saturday.

Capt. Sam Armstrong said the ashes were placed into a garbage can next to a wood pile. When they reignited, the fire in the trash spread to the wood, and then to the siding on the house.

Neighbors responded to help and were making progress on the fire when crews arrived. The fire was quickly knocked out, but not before causing some damage to the structure.

Officials asked residents to use cautions when disposing of materials used in fires.

“Please remember to put water on all fires, even the ashes, before you leave. You need to make sure that they are wet and stirred, so that there’s not a possibility for them to reignite,” Armstrong said.

Crews from three fire stations were called out to the one-alarm fire, along with a heavy rescue response team.

There were no reports of injuries, and no citations were issued.

An estimate of the damages to the home was not available.