Provo, UTAH – According to the Utah State Board of Education, the five finalists for 2022 Utah Teacher of the Year are:
- Teresa Hislop, an eighth grade science teacher at Ogden Preparatory Academy charter school in Ogden.
- Netanya Elise Maxwell, a third grade teacher at Bonneville Elementary in the Salt Lake City School District.
- Elizabeth Sampson, a visual art teacher at Union High School in the Duchesne County School District.
- Tracy Warenski, a second grade teacher at East Meadows Elementary in the Nebo School District.
- Chad Warnick, an agriculture, biology, leadership, and communications teacher at Delta Technical Center in the Millard School District
A selection committee comprised of representatives from parent and teacher advocacy organizations, charter schools, and the Utah State Board of Education selected the finalists. They made their choices from the statewide nominees forwarded from district and charter school teachers of the year.
The selection committee completed interviews with the five finalists and the announcement of the 2023 Utah Teacher of the Year will be made at the annual banquet to be held in Salt Lake City on September 8. The 2023 Utah Teacher of the Year will represent Utah in the National Teacher of the Year Program in Washington, D.C. and will succeed 2022 Utah Teacher of the Year Mark Daniels, who is a theatre teacher at Weber High School in the Weber District.